Call for Student Participation
The application for student travel support is available as an open call, advertised through the ICCBR 2018 web site, as well as regular conference communications channels (e.g., email lists and social media). Wright State University, Dayton, OH (USA) will administer these funds.
Applications for travel support are welcome for any student to apply, providing the student is a U.S. citizen or is currently active in an academic program at a U.S. college or university.
- Application Deadline:June 15, 2018
- Notification:June 20, 2018
- ICCBR-18a:9-12 July, 2018
- Receipts Submission Deadline: August 15, 2018
Support is limited to covering student travel, that is, transportation to and from ICCBR 2018 and expenses related to participation in the conference. These expenses include accommodation costs and conference registration. Funding cannot be used to cover personal expenses such as tourist activities before and after the conference.
Applicants will be prioritized based first on demonstrated level of conference participation. First priority will be given to students accepted to and participating in the main Technical Program. Second priority is given to the Doctoral Consortium, Workshop Program, and the Video Competition of ICCBR 2018. Tertiary consideration will be given to subordinate factors including estimated financial need and the timing of the application submission. However, we will seek active ways to include women and minorities and to increase the overall diversity of student participation at this conference without necessarily guaranteeing funding based on race, age, gender, or other under-represented characteristics. Self-identification of such factors in a student application is not required but can be taken into consideration if provided when making decisions for funding.
As possible, application materials that overlap will be coordinated with the application process for the Doctoral Consortium. Applications for travel support must include the following:
- A one-page statement from the student indicating their background, research focus or interest, confirmed conference participation, and estimated financial need for travel;
- A letter of support from the student’s advisor or mentor;
- Supporting documentation of U.S. citizenship or currently active status in an academic program at a U.S. college or university.
- A completed Wright State University Travel Request Authorization form. See https://tinyurl.com/yanso8hl
Student applications must be submitted as a (preferably) single PDF document attached to an email with the subject heading: “ICCBR 2018 Student Travel Support Application.” Send the email to email@example.com. Applications will be processed on a priority basis as described under the section entitled Prioritization. Applications will no longer be considered after June 15, 2015.
- NOTE that administrative resources for award processing are limited. Therefore, only one complete reimbursement request for participant expenses will be processed per awardee. Multiple partial requests or supplemental requests for reimbursement will not be processed.
Approval and Support Details
The amount of support available will depend on the number of applicants, but for students who are approved to receive support, we expect a minimum level of USD: $500.
- NOTEthat since this support comes from the U.S. National Science Foundation, there is a government restriction on airlines that are eligible as part of the travel support. If the airline is U.S. based or European Union based, it should be eligible. But please keep this in mind as you plan your travel and consider participation in the program. Details are available at gsa.gov/portal/content/103191.
The student travel support will take the form of reimbursement on participant expenses for transportation to/from ICCBR 2018. Awardees must provide documentation of actual transportation expenses incurred, particularly including receipts for transportation expenses claimed. Transportation expenses that are not documented will not be eligible for reimbursement under the award. Receipts and travel details for approved support will be submitted to Wright State University (email address above) no later than August 15, 2018 (but no earlier than the date at which ICCBR 2018 travel is complete).